Toggle menu

Home help and care

Independent living in Plymouth

Living independently at home in Plymouth brings immense satisfaction, but sometimes age or a disability can introduce challenges. Within this section, you'll find information on a variety of solutions, equipment, and aids, all aimed at promoting a sense of dignity and allowing you to live life to the fullest.

Extra care housing

If your independence and privacy are important to you, but you need some extra help, extra-care housing could be for you. It gives you more support than sheltered housing but more independence than a care home.

Respite care

Are you feeling overwhelmed by the demands of caring for a loved one? Or perhaps you're an older adult who'd like a change of scenery and some social interaction? Respite care in Plymouth might be the breath of fresh air you've been longing for.

Social and sheltered housing

Social housing provides affordable housing for those with low incomes or specific needs, open to families, individuals, and the elderly. Sheltered housing is designed for older individuals, typically aged 55+, who can live independently but may need some support.

Housing advice and support services

Housing advice and support services either based in Plymouth or supporting people who live in the city.

Housing associations

A housing association is a not-for-profit organisation that owns, lets, and manages rental housing. Any profits that the housing association makes are reinvested into properties you can rent.

Shared Lives

Shared Lives is a care and support service for adults with learning disabilities, autism, mental health issues, and dementia. It is an alternative to supported living or residential care. Share your home, share your life.

Supported accommodation

Imagine a home where you can maintain your independence while having access to the care and support you need. That's the essence of supported accommodation.

Private housing and renting

If you can't buy your own home, you can rent a place to live and your personal circumstances will affect whether it's better to rent from a social or private landlord.

Homeless and rough sleeping

If you're looking for somewhere to live or worried about losing your accommodation, it's important to talk to the council as soon as possible, as we can provide help, advice, and support to prevent you from becoming homeless.

Asylum seekers and refugees

An asylum seeker is someone who has arrived in the UK and is waiting to have his or her application assessed and determined. They have applied to the Home Office to stay here because they fear persecution in their country of origin.

Social housing issues and how to complain

Everyone deserves a safe and secure home. If you live in social housing and you have an issue with your home or your landlord, there are ways to make things right.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email